I haven’t written an article for a while; I was busy with work and shifting my place. But during this time I meet couple of friends who asked a typical question about blackberry, as it becomes a phenomena and the most popular device now a days. It is a very simple question that is repeated again and again.
Why and what blackberry device should I buy?
I will answer this question in a simple manner where you will have a better understanding when taking a decision, if you are thinking to buy one at the first place. If not! No harm to read and guide your friends if they ask you.
Well first of all, you have to know if you are a blackberry person or not. I have seen many people buying it for a while because they see every one carrying it then they discover that they are not that type of person and they dump the device after all.
So what makes you a blackberry person or NOT?
Mainly, if you need portability with your email and establish a partnership with it where ever you go this device will be your lovely partner wherever you go. Especially that you can set up more than one email account and you can receive all the email messages in place.
Second, No denial that there are many people who are not an email person but they still love it to the bone, particularly because of different chatting platforms that are available. Which makes the communication even more seamless between the friends. Instead of SMS they mainly prefer using Blackberry Messenger or even MSN messenger with non-blackberry users.
Another question I get always is which device shall I buy? Bold Curve or Storm?
Well, a small comparison in the blackberry website can reveal the answer of such question. After all it might not be that clear even after the comparison. Look and feel can be smelled only in reality when you hold the device by your hand. Usually websites of mobile phone producers narrates the technical story but not the usage story, that’s why normal users usually fell in a pitfall of choosing by following the technical specifications on the web only and most of the time I am one of them.
The technical comparison is here:
(click to veiw the comparison)
As we can see, both devices have something different. To be quite honest with you, to me the difference is very narrow. So lets summarize the differences in simple words.
- Very elegant look, which gives you the feeling of high quality device, especially with the leather finish.
- Nice and smooth chromatic touch on the side.
- 3G high speed, which is not for video as most of people might think. But you have to be careful, ISP’s (internet Service Providers) usually charge you more when 3G is enabled. So if you have deep pockets and you don’t care, you might want to enable it.
- 1GB internal memory, which is amazing. I wish if the curve has this huge memory. Frankly I don’t see any real difference especially if you will store all your pictures and files on the external memory card.
- 3MP camera, which is good for normal usage, at the end of the day it is a mobile phone camera, so be realistic with you expectations about the picture quality. If you want high quality pictures probably you have to buy a digital camera.
- I like the keyboard smoothness and it feels good when you type. At least for me, if we compare it to the bold it grips better even if you have big thumbs like me. On the other hand, the keyboard of Bold is bigger but it doesn’t grip very well.
- Although 256 MB internal memory sound very tiny, but after using the device for a while, with 10 email accounts which receives at least 50 emails per day. I didn’t felt that am running out of memory.
- Slightly smaller than the bold, which is a critical factor for some people.
Didn’t you notice? I didn’t mention any word about the Storm. This device didn’t even pass my basic usability test. Simply it is Very bulky device with a touch screen capability. You will be frustrated, starting from browsing the menu till you type something. It is out of the equation by all means unless RIM will do something better in the next version storm II. A good proof of that is the GITEX 2009 offer: buy Bold or Curve and get storm for free. It is as if they sell you an amazing device but to appreciate how amazing it is , you have to be so annoyed by using the Storm.
Never the less, both devices have plenty of accessories and covers with funky variation of colors. I always see girls matching their blackberry cover color with their outfit. There is a segment of people decided to buy it just because it has variety of easily changeable covers with different cover every day.
Finally, both of them has the same operating system and works exactly the same. They even have the same icons, which is a good touch from RIM. No matter which device you choose, at the end of the day it is a matter of preference.
if you have any comments and thoughts, dont hesitate to post them here. am always interested in what you have to say.